Brief Technology Description
The DEWdrop is a Decentralised Ecological Wastewater treatment system with modular design that provides convenient harvesting and reuse of domestic greywater. It can recycle up to 400L of greywater per day to a quality suitable for toilet flushing and garden watering – saving up to R5,000/annum.
Next Steps Required
Establish an efficient fabrication process in order to supply the system to hardwares, landscapers and plumbers.
- Ross Roberts
- Jonny Harris
- Mbongeni Mbabala
DEWdrop has been developed as a product by Isidima Design & Development (Pty) Ltd. Check out Isidima website for more Info about the company.
Detailed Technology Description
- The DEWdrop system uses biological treatment and indigenous plants to produce an ‘on-tap’ supply of recycled water, suitable for toilet flushing and garden watering. There are 5 key aspects to the design:
Collection of greywater
- Installation by in-house team or certified plumber
- Convey greywater through 50mm pipework from bathrooms and washing machine to the system
Anaerobic treatment – 1st tank
- 4 filtration steps with increasing density
- ‘Up-and-down’ flow between steps extending flow path, reducing flow velocity and preventing short-circuiting
- Biological media for attached biofilm growth
- Solids removal and initial COD reduction
Aerobic treatment – 2nd tank
- Water flows through indigenous wetland plant root zone – high microorganism activity.
- Multiple biological filter layers provide high surface area for polishing filtration and treatment.
- Filter media supports plant growth for nutrient uptake as required.
- Excellent COD reduction.
Temporary storage – 3rd tank
- ‘floating aquatic system’ of wetland plants suspended above storage zone.
- Roots grow down into storage zone to provide surface area for final polishing by microorganisms.
- Aeration, foot valve to pump and float switch built in.
‘on-tap’ supply of recycled water
- 230V or 12V (solar) pump provides supply of recycled water at 4 bar pressure.
- Garden tap provided for convenient irrigation when desired: guilt-free gardening.
- Recycled water connected to secondary cistern inlet to supply toilet for convenient flushing.
- Private homes, businesses and education Centers.
- Modular design allows for scalable system.
14 working systems currently in use .
Testing and Demonstration Results
- Water quality samples was taken in June 2017.
- Visual water quality and odour good – attached image of a DEWdrop client flush.
- User friendliness voluntarily noted by trial households.
Papers and Publications
- There are no Publications yet
Not under any patent yet